Thursday, October 13, 2011

And Away We Go

It was the first day back from fall break and, somehow, there had been an immediate change in season. The warm had gone, and the cold had arrived bringing with it icy wind and rain. It was on a night such as this that I walked down to the tunnel bundled up in my winter attire; the scarf nestled closely around my neck was keeping protecting it from the chilly gusts, and the wool peacoat was an impenetrable shield shrouding my body while retaining heat.

I can see that Jessica hadn't arrived at the tunnel yet, so I stepped inside to break away from the breeze. It wasn't too long before she came down the stairs, and we met. She made various comments about what I was wearing because it may have been a little overdone, but at least I looked "cute" according to my female friend.

We wait in front of the Vines Center for a very short while before Lauren comes into plain sight. We headed over to the Rot for dinner. At the Rot, we basically only talked about fall break and how Lauren and Jessica went to see the house filmed in the making of the movie What About Bob? (please see note #3). I couldn't believe that they actually went. I was slightly jealous just thinking about the fun they must've had on their little journey, but I had previously taken one on my own.

We finished up our dinner and headed out the doors back to the warm comfort of our dorms. We cross the street and head toward a building to cut through when I hear,

"Andrew, the bus is here! Come on! It goes to East." Jessica had motioned me over to the bus labeled L3 which headed toward the Lynchburg Inn. I looked at Lauren, then back at the bus, then at Lauren, then the bus, and ultimately decided to take the bus. There was no way I was going to risk illness.

After taking my seat behind Jessica, we began to wonder why Lauren didn't follow us on. It wraps around close to her dorm. Oh, well. I glanced behind me to see who else might be on the Lynchburg Inn bus. I spy Josie from Jessica's dorm, and apparently they had already waved and said hello and what not.

The bus starts to head toward East, and I remember that there's a ramp for the highway before the clubhouse stop.

"Jessica, I really don't think that this is gonna take us to far entrance." The bus stops at my stop, but I didn't get off because I didn't want Jessica to be stuck on this mass transit vehicle all be her lonesome.

"Well, let's be positive about this. It came to the clubhouse on Sunday to pick us up for church. I have homework to do anyway," she stated.

"Ok, but I really, really think that it's gonna go on the highway."

"Andrew... no it's not," she said so sure that she was right.

Well, she wasn't. There we go! Off to the highway! Jessica's face was in pure shock that we were stuck for a minimum of a half hour while we went to the Inn. I immediately burst out in laughter, a laughter of "wow, this is going to be fun."

"Oh... my... goodness!" Jessica was priceless at this moment. She turns back to Josie, "Can you believe this?" Turns out that the bus driver had told Josie that he would stop at the clubhouse, but he forgot, obviously. "Andrew, have you been to the Inn?" I shook my head no. "Well, I couldn't live there under those conditions."

I had absolutely no idea what the heck she was talking about. She was rambling on in a whisper about the Inn, and I didn't really pay it much mind though I was looking straight at her with a huge grin on my face holding in a laugh. I couldn't believe that she had this much to say about it. It was ridiculous. I could not even take it!

But there you have it. Lauren was already in sweat pants lying in her nice, warm bed by the time we got back. We were on that us for 35 minutes. A 35 minutes that won't happen again, but it was rather toasty on the bus.

Note:
The events that took place were true. And the only reason that I know Lauren was snuggly warm was because we called her to tell her that leaving her in the cold has come back to bite us.

No comments:

Post a Comment