Monday, October 17, 2011

The Rabid Rabbit

Snowflex - a popular, new year-round winter sports attraction set on a mountain covered in an artificial snow-like turf. Many students enjoy spending leisure time carving the two slopes available to them, and easy/intermediate slope and an advanced slope with one large jump that cuts across the whole trail. Snowflex is brand new and is currently incomplete, and they are constructing new addition(s)—formally known as Phase 2.

How the Snowflex operates: after renting your equipment and signing a liability waiver, you are to first test your skills on the Bunny Slope to see if you are prepared to master them on the regular slopes. A monitor is to give you the go-ahead when se/she believes you have the proper amount of control on your skis or snowboard.

However, my first experience was not one such as that. I did not want to go to Snowflex, but I was hanging out with my friend, Jack, who did. Since he was driving, there was no way of getting out of it. We arrived, signed out lives away on a waiver, and rented our equipment. I rented a snowboard and Jack received skis. We made our way to the Bunny Slope, and I was having trouble getting my board on. I was one of those moments where it felt like all eyes were on you, but in the real world, they have much better things on which to devote their attention.

I finally strapped myself in and stood up. I noticed some friends were nearby so I bid them tidings of great joy. Forgetting my feet were restrained, I took a step and fell forward. This time, some people glanced over, but I chuckled and played it off like it happens to everyone. So this time, I hopped over to the edge of the wide incline and watched as many others slid down the hill with ease. It took a good amount of time before I conjured up the courage to propel myself forward down that 30 foot death trap. And away I went...

Halfway down, I try to turn and fall flat on my front side and rolled two rotations. I fight my way back to standing up, and, as I looked around, I noticed that I'm the only one on the slope of all the people that were there. The momentum was minimal as I began my adventure down the last third of the slope. Within five seconds (if not sooner) of my trek, I fall again on my rear. By this time others have ventured down the hill. I become frustrated with myself and hop over to the pulley that takes you back up to the top. I thought that you pulled yourself up, but little did I know that it was a machine that ran the ropes. I grabbed a hold and was yanked back down to the ground.

I've had it at this point. I was just too embarrassed to do anything again. So I unbuckled myself and walked up to the top. I finished the evening by watching Jack and TJ ride the intermediate slope for 45 minutes. I strongly dislike that Bunny Slope. Those bunnies have come back with a vengeance; beware all doers of good.

Snowflex - a popular, new year-round winter sports death trap set on a mountain covered in an artificial snow-like turf that may cause extreme embarrassment, pain, irrational fears, or lack of sleep.

Note:
The events in this story are all true.

No comments:

Post a Comment