Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Best Friend... I'll Miss You

So after being here at Liberty University for about 2 weeks, I've made some pretty good friends that love the Lord and want His will for their lives, but I am sad to say that no pets are allowed in the dorms except fish and hermit crabs. These rules are easy to abide by. It was on that fateful day as I trekked up 4 flights of stairs, that I saw him basking in the glow of the hall light outside my door. He was long and slender with enormous hands that hooked at the wrist.

During the course of the next few days we had become the best of friends. I would sit outside and tell him my inner-most feelings, and he would kindly and gladly listen to my problems and steer me through the tough situations; he was a psychology major from where ever he was from, now he's undecided. He never said a word, but allowed me to fix the problems myself by searching within the deep crevices that held the answers.

It was one day earlier this week that I heard a fracas outside. I opened the doors and saw that one of my dorm mates had been verbally attacking my friend, and he fled in tears and a plethora of emotions. The derogatory phrases used during this time are too obscene to even be thought about, for as I write this documentary, a drop runs its course down my cheek and splashes to an oblivion. My dorm mate stood there with a firm fist, clenched teeth, and eyes of fire. His face, if given the opportunity, would boil with malice, and his nostrils flared with fury.

I stood in awe, mouth agape, at the sight of my confidant flee the scene. Thoughts raced through my head: "Is he coming back?" "Why is my dorm mate so mad?" "Is he hurt?" These all needed answers. I spent the next few days in a depression, wondering if he was okay, if he was alive. No trace, no contact, I thought this was the end.

I was eating dinner at the university dining hall, the Rot, when one of my good friends comes to me and tells me that there's something outside my door that needs to see me. I immediately ram back with high hopes, and before my eyes, there he was just as we were meeting for the first time; he basked in the glow of the hall light outside my room. I felt such rejoice in my heart, that I clapped in excitement and gave a shout of praise! He met my embrace and I told him that I was glad he was back.

We talked all night, and as the 3rd hour of the day approached, I decided to get some well deserved rest for my hard day's work. I opened my door to say good morning to my friend, but he was gone. I don't know what his reason was or where he went, but I do know that just seeing him this last time has made everything all worthwhile.

Mr. Green Mantis, I know you're out there somewhere. If by some chance you read this, I want you to know that you will always have a place deep down in my heart that will forever remain yours. You were the best pet that a college student could ask for, but I understand your need for freedom. Go and thrive with your kind in the wilderness where praying mantises belong. I just ask one thing. Please don't forget the times, and there will always be a place outside my door for you.

Note:
"None of the events in this story are true, except for fleeing and returning and disappearance of Mr. Green Mantis."

No comments:

Post a Comment